Re: GNUstep.sh in /etc/profile

From: Andreas Hoeschler
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh in /etc/profile
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 23:56:33 +0200

Hi,

I have the entry
    . /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
in /etc/profile and use bash for all users. If I log in as ahoesch the PATH variable is correctly set according to GNUstep.sh. When I log in as root, it works as well. However, if I log in as ahoesch and then su to root, the PATH variable does not get set and I have to manually call ". /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh". Why is this the case? This is on Solaris 8. How can this be fixed?

try using "su -" instead of just "su". Then the login scripts will be run as well.

Yes, but this also changes the current directory which is very annoying. I have

        export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

in /etc/bashrc and in /etc/profle. However, if I su to root /usr/local/bin is still missing in the path. If I login as root everything is fine. If I do su - everything is fine as well. Only "su" does not reasonably work for me.

Any ideas?

- Andreas