Re: OS Suggestions?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: OS Suggestions?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:33:12 +0100

On Sunday, June 23, 2002, at 01:35 PM, Damian Steer wrote:

Hi,

Ok, try to play nice...

I'm about to start work at <enormous multinational computer company>
for a bit, and they've helpfully set up a windows box for
me. Hmm. However I'm allowed to replace it with my OS of choice :-)

What I want to know is which OSs have the least problems with gnustep
(my preferred environment)? i.e. libraries, compilers (gcc 3.1?) etc.

I'm considering:

Debian linux.
FreeBSD.
(Possibly) Gentoo Linux.

Debian Intel is definately ok ... I use it (I've used Debian powerpc and Debian
alpha too - but only for GNUstep base, I haven't tried the gui on those).

In the past BSD has had some problems ... but it's probably ok now.

I don't know Gentoo at all.