Re: Modal windows

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Modal windows
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:40:46 -0600

Pete French wrote:
Certainly I can see that having menus stop working could be a very bad thing.

Hmm, but isnt that the point ? You make a window modal so that the user can
only interact with that window. This ois certainly theOpenSteop behaviour
and the NextStep behaviour. Its how you make certain actions in an App
effectively "atomic". I had always assumed it to be a bug too - it can lead
to many undesireable effects.

Well, the way it works now is that the menus still 'work' in that you can open and close submenus, select menu items,etc. However, unless the key window (e.g. the modal window) responds to a menu action, the action will not get sent. In this way, you could, say, paste a selection into a modal window. Although menu items with specific targets would still work also and that may be bad.

NextStep's behavior is a little odd, in that you can't actually use the mouse to select menu items, but you can still use key equivelants.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you