Re: problem with gpbs

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: problem with gpbs
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:28:53 +0200

Hi Nicola and all the others,
I installed version 0.7.8 of gui and back and my system is still working :-)
Unfortunately, it did not solve the gpbs problem. Thus, I started to dig around
and here
is what I found out so far.
It seems that gpbs crashes during the pasteboard operation. The (remote) client
then hangs in the RPC and is stuck. This happens if and only if I start gpbs
during boot time (FYI, I use a suse 7.3 distro and hacked gnustep into suse's
set of start/stop scripts.). If I do it manually from a command line everything
is fine.
Also, if I don't start it at all and let the client application do the work
everything goes fine.
I tested the thing using GNUMail.app (1.0.2). I open the preferences panel and
highlight the user name using the mouse. That's all I need to reproduce this
behaviour. A couple of NSLog brought me finally near the place. It is somewhere
in 'declareTypes' in the NSPasteboardObject class of gpbs. I am absolutely
positive that the call goes out from NSPasteboard and reaches gpbs. Somewhere
in there gpbs crashes.
The last idea I had was that it might have to do with X. In particular the
starting order seems to be important. If I start gpbs after X is up and running
I am fine. If I
do it during start up of the system (somewhere near the start of X) it goes
wrong. How far and how tight are X and gpbs connected? is it possible that some
data
structures are not initialised properly if gpbs is started to soon after X?
At the moment I am too tired to dig deeper into the thing. The other problem is
that if start gpbs the erroneous way I have no tty attached to gpbs where I
could
NSLog what is going on. Where do the logs go in this case? Or any other idea
how to debug this?

>Thanks for your time.

Thanks for yours :-)

Have a good night. I will.