Re: How to install makefiles and unix scripts?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: How to install makefiles and unix scripts?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:02:06 +0100 (BST)

> Hi,
>
> Are there any variables in which I can tell the make to install shell scripts
> into Tools and package's makefiles into Makefiles directory?

No - there isn't - should we add it ?  The fact is that the code is
trivial, probably easier to write the code than to actually figure out
what variables you need to set in order to use gnustep-make provided code
:-) here is an example taken from jigs -

JIGS_MAKE_DIR = $(INSTALL_ROOT_DIR)$(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)
after-install::
        $(MKINSTALLDIRS) $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) Makefiles/java-wrapper.make $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) Makefiles/java-wrapper.top.template $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) Makefiles/java-wrapper.top.debug.template
$(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) Makefiles/java-wrapper.readme.template $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) Makefiles/java-wrapper.objc.template $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) Makefiles/java-wrapper.java.template $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) Makefiles/search_header.sh $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)
        chmod a+x $(JIGS_MAKE_DIR)/search_header.sh

(Important - please note the $(INSTALL_ROOT_DIR)$(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES))

> And, is it ok (without confilct with makefile.postable) to use rules
> before-install:: and after-install:: in library makefiles (that are going to
> be installed)? Or is there some another way?

Ahm - not sure - you can add stuff to before-install:: and
after-install::, and it shouldn't conflict with makefile.postamble - so
it's fine, except I'm not sure why you want to do it :-)

If you provide me with some code or example or explanation of what you
need/want to do, I might be able to suggest how to best tackle the problem
(which in the end might perfectly well be to use before-install:: and
after-install:: :-)