Re: GScheme on Mac OS X/Darwin

From: Marko Riedel
Subject: Re: GScheme on Mac OS X/Darwin
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:28:23 +0200 (CEST)

Markus Hitter writes:

 > Am Dienstag den, 6. August 2002, um 15:39, schrieb Marko Riedel:
 >
 > > it occurs to me that my GC still needs a lot of improvements,
 > > e.g. perhaps I should restrict garbage collection to compound data
 > > structures and use retain/release on the rest. (Currently all scheme
 > > objects e.g. including integers are handled by the GC.)
 >
 > Confusion like this is what I had in mind when considering
 > adding Garbage Collection as a not-so-good idea a few weeks ago.
 >
 > But you might find a satisfying solution how to handle these
 > situations. Make -release ignore garbage collected objects?

Hi there,

this is precisely the problem. I can't call a method on a GCed object
because GNUstep will have reclaimed the memory that it used and I get
a segmentation fault. Actually all my objects go into a set and I
leave a single retain when I GC them, so that I can release the set
without getting a seg. fault.

Best,

| Marko Riedel, EDV Neue Arbeit gGmbH, mriedel@neuearbeit.de |
| http://www.geocities.com/markoriedelde/index.html          |