Re: Setter Gettor method style

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: Setter Gettor method style
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:18:28 +0200

From: "Christian Edward Gruber" <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:15:48 -0400

Unfortunately untrue. It is possible, and in a highly multi-processing box,
there.  It's not likely to fail, but it may fail.  If your code is
multithreaded, then option number 2 is preferable.
No, this is not true if you are in a truly multithreading environment.

I agree,  in multithreading/multiprocessing environments,  the GNUstep
library is not clean, and the return([[target retain]autorelease]); is
one step toward a more correct solution.

I don't really agree (maybe because I am coming from Irix/SGI where multithreading is an important, daily issue and not just a hypothetical case as in other environments...), either a solution is/has to be 100% threadsafe or it is clearly stated as not and then it is up to the developer using GNUstep to make it threadsafe. This retain/autorelease 'solution' is definitly not threadsafe, so why make the effort at all? You cannot have a 90% threadsafety and it would be very dangerous to address the problem using such an philosophy.

...but maybe I misunderstand your point here?

Philippe C.D. Robert