Re: Defaults being destroyed

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Defaults being destroyed
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:15:07 +0100

On 2002-08-26 15:43:23 -0600 Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed, that my defaults are being periodicaly destroyed. I thought it
bay be because of some application, but it is not, because some domains were
removed also while running gpbs and gdnc only. I have tryied with 'defaults
write NSGlobalDomain dummy dummy' and reading it back for few times, and after
some time I have noticed, that complete NSGlobalDomain was missing. Same with
some other domains, but some will remain, some not.
Anyone else experiencing same problem?

Yes, but no one has been able to supply a repeatable test case in order to
isolate the problem. If you can do that, I think many people would be happier.

Try this:

1. backup your defaults
2. Quit all GNUstep applications and kill all GNUstep servers   killall gdomap
        killall gdnc
        killall gpbs
3. delete NSGlobalDomain
        defaults delete NSGlobalDomain
4. run gdomap and gdnc again
5. immediately run this csh script:
        defaults write NSGlobalDomain dummy dummy
        foreach i ( `seq 0 1000` )
            echo -n `date +"%T"` "";
            echo `defaults read NSGlobalDomain dummy`
            sleep 1
        end

After some time the domain will dissapear:

08:13:57 NSGlobalDomain dummy 'dummy'
08:13:58 NSGlobalDomain dummy 'dummy'
08:13:59 NSGlobalDomain dummy 'dummy'
08:14:00 defaults read: couldn't read default
08:14:02 defaults read: couldn't read default

It seems, that if a program does not see some domain in database at program
startup, it will not write it back. It may be a problem in -[NSUserDefaults
synchronize] I think, but I am not sure.

Stefan