Re: gsnd compile trouble on solaris

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: gsnd compile trouble on solaris
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 05:38:43 -0500

I've encountered this a number of times when porting to Solaris.  Solaris
(at least 2.7 and below, I don't know about newer versions) does not
have 'flock()'.  You can implement your own flock in terms of lockf().
The caveats are that lockf doesn't handle all of the options of flock()
(shared locking is missing, IIRC).  What I did was find a linux flock()
man page and implement an 'flock.c' that uses lockf() underneath and
returns the same result codes.  If my Sparc weren't down right now, I'd
grab you some code.  Googling might turn up something, as I am sure
others have encountered this.  You might also look at fcntl()...I don't
remember if it does shared locks on Solaris or not.  Something has to.
I haven't had to do this in a couple of years or so, or I would remember.

HTH

--Robert