Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 22:17:35 -0400

Adam Fedor wrote:

> Dennis Leeuw wrote:
> > * I don't understand the Specific directory, what should go in there?
>
> That was a comment from Stefan Urbanek. GNUMail, for instance, stores
> application specific files in .../Library/GNUMail
>
> If you had a lot of applications that did that, pretty soon your Library
> directory would but full of these.

*Library/AppName has been the obviously correct, universally-accepted
location since "the beginning of time".

My ~/Library has: Affiche, Fonts, GNUMail, OmniWeb, Quantrix, StepTalk,
Terminal, WetPaint, sThinking (solidThinking, OS4.2), and so on.

It's a single, simple, rule that works everywhere -- and directories need
not be nearly empty to be useful.

A filesystem without much in it is putting the cart before the horse. A
filesystem hierarchy is for storing files. ;)