Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 12:11:44 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 02:27 PM, Tim Harrison wrote:
>
> > Dennis Leeuw wrote:
> >
> >> /Network/<server-name>/System
> >> /Network/<server-name>/Local
> >> /Network/<server-name>/Users
> >
> > This is something that I'm still unsure of.  I know Martin has some
> > suggestions about the management of /Network.  My personal jury is
> > still out on this one.  I'm going to have a look at all the
> > suggestions, and see what I can come up with.  In the meantime, I'm
> > going to leave it as it is.  No harm, no foul.
>
> That's not the way Network was meant to be used as I understood it.
>
> The idea of the Network domain is to be used to store stuff that's
> supposed to be available
> to all machines on the network ... enabling rapid deployment of client
> machines (ie a single
> server exports this directory using NFS etc, and all client machines
> mount it).
> The layout of subdirectories within Network should therefore mirror the
> layout of directories
> in System.

I looked it up to be sure, but the NeXT Network and System Administration
book says for e.g. Chapter 7 Creating Network-Wide User Accounts:
<snip>
Modify the Home Directory field fo the new account
<snap>
for example, would be /Net/server/Users/meggers
<snop>

Somewhere I must have a document that describes the NeXT tree in more
detail, but I can't find it. (Does that mean I need to clean up the mess
around me?)
The /Network path is used for mounting network shares on a per host path.
But that doesn't mean we have to stick to that.

Dennis