Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 14:50:30 +0100

On Sunday, September 8, 2002, at 11:11 AM, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 02:27 PM, Tim Harrison wrote:

Dennis Leeuw wrote:

/Network/<server-name>/System
/Network/<server-name>/Local
/Network/<server-name>/Users

This is something that I'm still unsure of.  I know Martin has some
suggestions about the management of /Network.  My personal jury is
still out on this one.  I'm going to have a look at all the
suggestions, and see what I can come up with.  In the meantime, I'm
going to leave it as it is.  No harm, no foul.

That's not the way Network was meant to be used as I understood it.

The idea of the Network domain is to be used to store stuff that's
supposed to be available
to all machines on the network ... enabling rapid deployment of client
machines (ie a single
server exports this directory using NFS etc, and all client machines
mount it).
The layout of subdirectories within Network should therefore mirror the
layout of directories
in System.

I looked it up to be sure, but the NeXT Network and System Administration
book says for e.g. Chapter 7 Creating Network-Wide User Accounts:
<snip>
Modify the Home Directory field fo the new account
<snap>
for example, would be /Net/server/Users/meggers
<snop>

Somewhere I must have a document that describes the NeXT tree in more
detail, but I can't find it. (Does that mean I need to clean up the mess
around me?)
The /Network path is used for mounting network shares on a per host path.
But that doesn't mean we have to stick to that.

I'm referring to the location described by the GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT
environment variable, which was introduced as a place to store applications and resources provided on client machines by a network server. Traditionally
this location has defaulted to /usr/GNUstep/Network

This has nothing to do with the /Net directory in NeXTstep, where peer machines
(and the local host) available on the network are to be found.

The /Net directory is irrelevant to the GNUstep software ... its contents are
not searched for apps to run, and apps running on the local machine don't
use anything from within the /Net directory. There is therefore no particular
point in defining this as part of the GNUstep filesystem structure.

I think that Apple combines the two concepts so that the /Net directory from NeXTstep is now /Network/Servers, but in other respects the Apple setup seems to be the same as the existing GNUstep one (ie the Networks directory contains
subdirectories like Applications, Library etc).