Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:39:34 +0100

On 2002-09-12 00:06:10 +0200 Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

Stefan Urbanek wrote:

I think, we are just too used to unix. GNUstep/Cocoa is more than 'another
object library', it  has its phylosophy and its feel. Why to restrain it?

Actually, if there is no Developer domain, then there really is less restraint.
There is nothing that prevents anyone from adding a Developer domain (user,
sysadmin, and/or package maintainer) and installing stuff there. Making the
Developer domain mandatory actually reduces the flexibility that people have to
put things where they want.

That restraint was not meant for the existence developer domain, but for that
previous discussion about that 'PATH' issue. I am sorry, It was written out of
context.

Anyway back to the developer's domain. I agree that it reduces the flexibility,
but there should be some kind of order. If people only do what they want, it is
anrchy :) Having a separate Developer (sub)domain where developers share their
resources might be also good for systems with many users where are developers a
minority and where the sysadmin is also a non-developer. Sysadmin can maintain
'his' /Local/Library and developers can maintaint 'theirs' shared
/Local/Developer (add/remove directories...) Developers do not have to ask the
sysadmin to install/remove files they need and sysadmin does not have to worry
about developers messing-up the System/Local domain.
Stefan