Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:07:04 -0400

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> > From: Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net>
> > Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:13:44 -0400
> >
> > Eric Dahlman wrote:
> >
> > > I am starting on a new project which needs to have a cross platform
> > > GUI and I was wondering how practical that would be using GNUstep
> > > and Cocoa.  Specifically...
> > >
> > > How hard would it be to port a Cocoa application to GNUStep?
> > > How hard is the other direction?
> >
> > Porting from GNUstep to Cocoa is, for the most part, trivial.
> > Porting from Cocoa to GNUstep is rather more difficult.
>
> Because you used MacOSX extensions over OpenStep...

I don't develop for OS X (wouldn't touch it if I were paid to). But that's
not the point at all.

The point is that Apple doesn't give you any hint on what is an extension,
because there are no extensions -- it's all Cocoa, and none of it is
OpenStep.

Cocoa merely happens to mostly look and act like OpenStep, from the point
of view of the programmer. It is not OpenStep and never was.

It is more difficult to port a Cocoa app to OpenStep, because a lot of the
things you take for granted on OS X simply do not exist in the OpenStep
spec, or in GNUstep either.