link flags for GNUmakefile

From: S11001001
Subject: link flags for GNUmakefile
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:12:58 -0500

Ok, I've been trying to build a Tool with gnustep-make. The problem is, when I compile and link a file manually, I get my shared libobjc linked in, ~/lib/libobjc.so.1. When I use gnustep-make, I get an old libobjc in /usr/lib. Here is the cause of the problem, or so I believe:

In System/Makefiles/Additional/base.make, the CONFIG_SYSTEM_LIBS adds -L/usr/lib to the library search path. IMHO, this is unnecessary, and I ask if there is a special reason for this, or otherwise request its removal. Of course, -L/usr/lib is what it is in the generated file; don't know what it is in the source.

I removed this in base.make, and it solved the problem, dropping my hello executable from >300k to 20k, and furthermore providing me with a decent objc runtime :)

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://dotgnu.org

Sometimes I think that perhaps one of the best things I could do with
my life is: find a gigantic pile of proprietary software that was a
trade secret, and start handing out copies on a street corner so it
wouldn't be a trade secret any more, and perhaps that would be a much
more efficient way for me to give people new free software than
actually writing it myself; but everyone is too cowardly to even take
it.
        -- RMS, Lecture at KTH (Sweden), 30 October 1986