Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib le?)

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib le?)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:58:31 -0700

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:34:43 +0200
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
[...]
> If you disagree, try to ask you WHY GNUstep still isn't
> widely adopted, and younger desktop/environment as KDE/Gnome had
> take the lead. My opinion is that it's because NeXT wasn't known
> by many; it was famous, but not so many people *used* it. So people
> have a hard time to figure in what GNUstep would be interessting,
> when you compare it to a more known environment/philosophy/language,
> with approximately the same features.
[...]

It's not widely adopted, because it's hardly known. It lacks the media
hype, KDE/Gnome are getting. I first read about GNUstep around '94 or
'95 in a computer magazine (just a one-liner, as a side-note) and then
again around '98 in the same magazine (and again, just a one-liner).

Talking to people helps a lot (ie. point to GNUstep as an alternative)
and I've found that, though most first thought its look to be 'out-dated'
they now come to love it. I don't think it's a matter of taste but of
"habit".

--
Chris