Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib le?)

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib le?)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:13:12 +0100 (IST)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

> It's not widely adopted, because it's hardly known. It lacks the media
> hype, KDE/Gnome are getting. I first read about GNUstep around '94 or
> '95 in a computer magazine (just a one-liner, as a side-note) and then
> again around '98 in the same magazine (and again, just a one-liner).

Similar experience here. The first time I heard about GNUstep was in
the CHiP magazine about '94 IIRC. It was an article about Objective-C in
general (3 pages), and a small box about libfoundation. They also
mentioned GNUstep there.

> Talking to people helps a lot (ie. point to GNUstep as an alternative)
> and I've found that, though most first thought its look to be 'out-dated'
> they now come to love it. I don't think it's a matter of taste but of
> "habit".

I was really surprised to meet a guy last weekend who was working at Apple
for quite some time, but left Apple 2 years ago. He was working on the
Rhapsody OS and  API extensions (or course in Objective-C). He didn't know
AT ALL that there is an OpenSource project (=GNUstep) that tries to implement
the OpenStep API. He was very interested!

greetings max