Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:52:03 +0200

>I think that several of the respondents are creating a self-fulfilling
>prophecy. By ignoring OS X, you are guaranteed not to get any Mac
>converts. I am on several Cocoa lists which are regularly hit with: I
>love Objective-C/Cocoa, can I do this on <name your platform>?
>Invariably, they are given directions to gnustep.org. If you don't want
>these people wasting your time, then it might be good to make that
>clear on your site. To say OS X programmers aren't interested just
>isn't true. This discussion is the first I have heard such negative
>comments relating to Cocoa compatibility, especially given the effort
>on GNUMail.app and other projects to develop cross platform
>applications with GNUStep.

>From what I have heard on cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com, most Cocoa developers
are more concerned to get their apps running on any Windows than on Linux
(because of Linux's market share, the unwillingness of Linux users to pay
for their apps and so on). Their common approach to this problem is
currently to pester Apple to release Yellow Box for Windows...

Since the word is that GNUstep doesn't do it on Windows, they don't give a
dime on GNUstep. At least that's what you'll usually get as an answer if
you point people to GNUstep.

So I think that if GNUstep would run maturely on Windows and the
installation there would be a no brainer, some Cocoa developers would
come. Whatever that implies...

Greetings, Lars