Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib

From: Dean Bittner
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possib
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:29:17 -0600

Hi All,

As a GNUstep developer, I have two perspectives that I'd like to share. It's an important discussion.

First, purely as a programmer, objective-c and the gnustep API energize my creativity, curiousity, and power me along in the exploration of my ideas. I also see sufficient support and progress of 'the kit' which makes me less concerned about it 'rotting' out from under my code over the coming years, and there is a good level of compatibility with os x, a commercial alternative that is not likely to disappear any time soon. I am doing all my new work for gnustep and mac os x.

Secondly, as a business person, I must be able to deliver my work on the platform that my customer prefers or is already using. They, in most cases, have overwhelming reasons for their choice, and it just makes a happy customer. I'm hoping that the cygwin or mingw port will enable me to continue to develop and work in my preferred environs and deliver in that preferred by many customers. And, I may be able to bend a few along the way.

Call me pragmatic ...

Dean