Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:34:44 +0200

"Philippe C.D.Robert" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 02:18 AM, Chris Hanson wrote:
> > At 2:27 AM -0400 9/24/02, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> >> This time, you are absolutely wrong. Most OS X developers know about
> >> GNUstep. Why aren't they here? The simple fact is, not many of them
> >> CARE.
> >
> > Not entirely.
> >
> > Many, many people have been watching GNUstep for years.  They just
> > judge it not ready for prime time yet.  And many Mac OS X developers
> > are interested in building great applications, not working on the core
> > frameworks.
> >
> > Three things that would get Mac OS X developers using GNUstep:
> >
> > * 100% of the basic AppKit working.  I don't know where GNUstep stands
> > on this right now. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles
> > that the Cocoa AppKit does, but it also has to not have huge gaps in
> > major functionality.
> >
> > * The ability to easily port from Cocoa to GNUstep.  A simple nib
> > converter that's completely independent of GNUstep would go a long way
> > here.
> >
> > * Windows support that they can deploy commercial applications with
> > (i.e. no cygwin).
>
> Seeing is believing, so I guess if there was an easy way to install a
> GNUstep desktop then many would become interested in the project and
> more important, become active contributors! Hence my question, what
> would it take to create an installation script similar to the one found
> in early Gnome desktop versions which installs GNUstep, GWorkspace and
> other core applications (GNUMail, Terminal, Preferences, Gorm,
> ProjectCenter, EasyDiff and so on ... there are a bunch already!)?

That's something I am working on for some time now. It all started with the
Build Guide and the time I spend on testing, time and time again... I
scripted it and it get's easier. I rewrote the spm too 5 times and hope
that I am now working on it's last incarnation, or maybe not since it uses
shell variables for the app description.
So I hope to have a general script ready this year that will build you a
basic GNUstep system on a Un*x system. For Windows it might be a different
issue, but I hope to make it so generic that it will work on Windows too,
don't hold your breath now, it's gonna take time.
There are a lot of issues that need to be resolved. But I think I am on the
right track (finally).

Dennis