Re: gcc 3.1 OK for gnustep?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: gcc 3.1 OK for gnustep?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:10:05 -0700

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:51:24 -0700
Jim McLoughlin <jimmcloughlin@earthlink.net> wrote:
> If I have a chance at home, I will get on my FreeBSD box and check the
> version of all the supporting packages (libxml, etc).  I don't recall
> using any special compile options, I mainly used make install in the
> ports system.  My sources were from a while ago (6 - 8 weeks), so it
> was not a recent change that caused the problems.  Maybe 3.1 was never
> a proper gcc to use?

Yes.

> To answer my own question, the updated unix build guide now says that >
> 3.2 is required.

No it's not _required_

GNUstep works perfectly fine (with one exception) on FreeBSD using the
following ports/versions:

  - ffcall 1.8
  - freetype2 2.1.2
  - gcc 3.0.4 (make WANT_THREADS_SUPPORT=YES)
  - gmake 3.79.1_3
  - libart_lgpl2 2.3.10
  - libaudiofile 0.2.3
  - libiconv 1.8_1
  - libxml2 2.4.24 (make WITHOUT_PYTHON=YES)
  - tiff 3.5.7
  - windowmaker 0.80.1

The exception is, that with the scenario above, you will have to DISable
OpenSSL support in gnustep-base - otherwise Apps/Tools will SIGSEGV when
trying to access URLs (http and ftp). I'm not sure whether this is a
general problem or is due to OpenSSL being compiled with gcc2.95.3...

--
Chris