Re: debian gnustep questions - and how to uninstall gnustep properly

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: debian gnustep questions - and how to uninstall gnustep properly
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 18:44:19 +0100

On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 06:22  pm, Jim McLoughlin wrote:

Is there a good reason you're not using the GNUstep packages that come
with Debian? Just

apt-get install gnustep-back gnustep-make gnustep-base gnustep-gui

...and things should be good. If you really want cutting-edge hoohaw,
put a "/unstable" on the end of each of those (if you've got unstable
dists in your apt sources.list).

thanks for the response...

I am a debian newbie so did not think of using unstable to get more recent gnustep. The stable version were older than I wanted. But I'll give this a shot. I assume I just add an unstable source to my sources.list

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/ unstable main ...

and then execute your apt-get above.

My other question - none of the howtos give any directions on properly uninstalling gnustep. Since I've already built make, base, and gui from source, I want to remove them before using apt-get. Is it safe to assume I can just remove the root GNUSTEP directory, or do I need to remove header files and libraries elsewhere in the system? Is there a make deinstall command that will work?

Just removing the GNUstep root directory should work.