Re: Using unix sockets for NSPort

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Using unix sockets for NSPort
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:10:30 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
[snip]
> I think this makes sense for gpbs/gdnc (with the caveat about
> Xterminals)
> Not so sure about apps ... Obviously anything wanting to offer general
> services would not want to use private single user connections.

Applications are one of the important things to keep private, in part to
avoid name collisions, but also for security reasons. Eg. Terminal.app
provides terminal services, and these can easily be used to run
arbitrary commands if you can connect to it.

> > This is meant to replace GSTcpPort, but I propose the following
> > structure for the NSPort/NSPortNameServer classes:

This turned out wrong. I meant: "This is _not_ meant to replace
GSTcpPort, ...". Sorry. I don't want to remove or rewrite GSTcpPort, I
just want to rename it to NSSocketPort.

(In fact, it might be easier for me to break GSTcpPort into a generic
socket part, an AF_INET/PF_INET specific subclass for NSSocketPort, and
an AF_UNIX/PF_UNIX specific subclass for NSMessagePort.)

- Alexander Malmberg