Re: gnustep-base on msys/mingw: make always regenerates

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: gnustep-base on msys/mingw: make always regenerates
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:50:57 -0600

Marcel Weiher wrote:
Hi folks!

I have now found the instructions for building gnustep with MSYS+MinGW, and things are working much better than before with cygwin and so forht (Duh!). However, there still are some minor wrinkles to get out, but nothing really problematic. What *is* problematic is that make always restarts the build from scratch. Not too pleasant on Virtual PC...

Any ideas what could be causing the build to re-start from scratch each time, even if the previus make failed in the final link phase? One thing I noticed is that it removes and re-copies the headers each time. Are there dependencies on the build-locations of the headers?

re-copying the headers is a dumb hack. Perhaps this should be improved. It shouldn't re-compile everything though. Perhaps just 10 or 20 files.

In any case, you could avoid this by compiling from a subdirectory:

cd Source
make

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you