Re: gsdoc version 1.0.0

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: gsdoc version 1.0.0
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:22:16 -0700

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:08:16 +0100
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> I've modified NSProcessInfo so that manually supplying it with
> argc,argv,envp overrides any values determined automatically,
> and modified autogsdoc  to use this ... so if it works now, it
> would tell us that the problem is with the mechanism NSProcessInfo
> uses to determine the contents of argv on your system.
> I also occurred to me that the problem might be with the kernel not
> permitting large argument lists ... this seems unlikely ... but if
> your make, or shell, or kernel is having a problem with this, let me
> know  - I've added an option for autogsdoc to read the names of the
> headers from a file, so such a problem can be worked round.

autogsdoc in last Friday's checkout worked. No problems with creating
the HTML files. Even referencing NS<classes> and Protocol documentation
now works. Great.

However, todays checkout, though HTML will still be created, will warn
that, eg:

  2002-10-21 13:10:00.605 autogsdoc[83991] Location of class 'NSMenu'
  (referenced from MyObject) not found or not unique.

On a side-note, three thoughts:

1) If you reference a Class plus method, ala [NSApplication-run], a space
   should be added in HTML, [NSApplication -run]. It's easier to read.

2) The HTML link to any NS<class> is given as a full path - however, the
   web browser will 'expand' it to, eg:

     /home/foo/GNUstep/Documentation/opt/GNUstep/System/Documentation/...

   a <a href=file:/.... would do the trick.

3) The <contents /> for a class only seems to create a link to the class
   description. A link 'down' to "Method summary" would be nice.

Anyway, autogsdoc is a very nice tool...

--
Chris