Re: Problem with libart backend

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Problem with libart backend
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:45:28 +0100

Charles Philip Chan wrote:

> Circa Sun. Oct. 27, 2002 at 01:53:50 +0200, a lone cry was heard from
> Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> in the wasteland called the
> Internet:
>
> > That's a bit strange. Is the X server running as some third user (ie.
> > not you and not root)?
>
> The X server is running as root. This is the command for starting X
> taken from ps:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt07 -auth /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-UpaVYa

A quick google search shows that there were some changes in XFree86 4.2
that might be related to this. Seems they didn't check the permissions
properly on the server end previously; the new code might think that the
client doesn't have access to it. A quick look at it suggests that it
only works if the client is connected over a unix domain socket, so you
might want to check that.

> > I could add a defaults key that switches it to  0777, but that allows
> > any local user to attach to the shared memory and see/modify the
> > contents of your windows.
>
> This could be a major security risk.
>
> The strange thing is that my other programs have no problems using shm.

Just shared memory in general, or shared memory with XShm? Most likely,
they're using 0777 without bothering to tell you. You can use ipcs to
find out. If you find a program that uses XShm successfully with
reasonable permissions, we could try to figure out what it does
differently and copy that.