Re: Compilation errors on SuSE 8.0

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Compilation errors on SuSE 8.0
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:59:49 -0700

After installing gnustep-objc, you need to re-configure/install gnustep-make so it can pick up on the new libobjc (and the fact that it needs a threads library).

I'm not sure why ffcall failed. You might have problems later on running GUI apps without it, but try it and see.

Johnston, Simon wrote:
Hello everyone,
SuSE comes with WindowMaker but not any of the GNUstep libraries (doesn't even install Objective-C with GCC by default). I'm trying to compile a system from scratch, which may be a problem I guess as the WindowMaker stuff may be be using some existing libraries. Can anyone help me with a build issue, or does anyone have any binary rpms?

Anyway, here is the list of activities so far, note that the ffcall library failed but I couldn't see any dependencies in LaunchPad so I carried on without it. My problem is in gnustep-base:

1) SuSE Installed GCC 2.95.3
2) downloaded gnustep-make-1.4.0
        # ./configure
        # make install
        # . /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
3) downloaded ffcall-1.8d
        # ./configure
        # make install
                => failed, libtool error
4) Installed gobjc-2.95.3-216 from SuSE disks, SuSE does not by default
5) downloaded gnustep-objc-1.2.2.tar
        # make install
        # set make shared=no
        # cp static/.../libobjc_s.a /usr/lib/gcc.../libobjc.a
6) downloaded gnustep-base-1.4.1
        # ./configure
        # make install
                => failed.... Here is the config.log

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you