Re: Bug in setPersistentDomain?

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: Bug in setPersistentDomain?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:33:55 +0100

On 2002-11-12 13:00:18 +0000 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
wrote:

On 2002-11-11 18:46:14 +0000 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
wrote:

On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 01:40  pm, Andreas Heppel wrote:
Hi there,
I just checked some methods for NSUserDomain and saw that
- (void) setPersistentDomain:forName: checks the variable _tempDomains whether
the requested domainname already exists. Shouldn't this check be made over
_persDomains instead? If I get it right _tempDomains holds the volatile ones.
The check shouldn't be there at all (I removed it) and the one in
setVolatileDomain:forName: was wrong ... I corrected it.
OK. But iirc Apple's Foundation manual says that both methods should raise
exceptions if a persistent/volatile domain with the given name already exists,
while the comment in gnustep-base reads 'Replaces the persistent...'. I
actually prefer the latter (and now impelmented :-) version of GNUstep since it
makes more sense to me. But wouldn't that break the *step specs?

Argh ... I checked ... the original implementation was correct according to the
OpenStep spec.
I've reinstated the original tests, so that the code conforms to spec again
*and* conforms to
the MacOS-X documentation.
Is this actually possible? Having checked both specs now (OpenStep _and_ OSX)
they are completely different in those points. Or am I missing something here?
I must admit that I missed to read the OpenStep spec earlier and only had the
OSX one in mind.
Sorry for causing this confusion :-)

Thinking about it, the OpenStep spec makes more sense than the MacOS-X one ...
basically it says that you can't have a volatile domain and a persistent domain
with the same name,
wheras MacOS-X says you can't set a volatile domaion unless you remove any old
domain of the
same name first.
I agree. That truely makes sense.
Concerning the OSX specs, is it possible that we do have different issues? The
document I have here reads that setPersistentDomain:forName: will raise an
exception if a _persistent_ domain of this name already exists. The same goes
for setVolatileDomain:forName:. This is complete nonsense to me, because doing
it like this would mean I can't change a domain without previously removing it.
Thus my question above how it can be that GNUstep conforms to both.

Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out GSburn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net