Re: New text system implementation

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: New text system implementation
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:59:51 -0700

Alexander Malmberg wrote:

The new text system implementation is getting close to completion (some
screenshots: http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/TextSystem*.png),
so it's question time again:

Looks nice!

1.
I would like to commit this very soon so I can iron out the last issues
(currently, I have tons of hacks in place to be able to test it).
However, this will involve fairly extensive changes (-gui and -back),
and it will break stuff for a while. Thus, I would like to do this on a
branch and merge it in when it works. Is this ok? Couldn't find anything
in the coding standards about using/naming branches; should there be?

Sure. That's fine. That's what branches are for.

GSLayoutManager: Basic storage of glyph and layout information, basic
typesetter interface, can handle _any_ layout (which means that it won't
contain many of the methods that NSTextView needs).

NSLayoutManager: Sub-class of GSLayoutManager that assumes horizontal
layout (and a few other restrictions).

GSTypesetter: Abstract typesetter super-class. Not compatible with
apple's NSTypesetter.

GSHorizontalTypesetter: The default typesetter. Can be used with
NSLayoutManager. Not compatible with NSSimpleHorizontalTypesetter, but
can be subclassed to change behavior in a similar way.

Looks ok to me. I suspect anyone who needs to go any deeper than NSLayoutManager is probably going to end up writing there own text management system anyway.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you