Re: GNUstep tool as Apache CGI

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep tool as Apache CGI
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:30:42 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to use a GNUstep tool (Objective-C program) called "Adaptor"
> as a CGI for Apache. The code works great on MacOSX. The GNUstep version
> also works if called directly in a shell or from a wrapper script
>
> #!/bin/sh
> . /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
> Adaptor
>
> However I would like to avoid the wrapper script for performance reasons
> and call the CGI directly like
>
>       http://merkur/cgi-bin/Adaptor
>
> This currently does not work. Obviously the tool is not even startet
> since stuff that is configured in GNUstep.sh is missing. How can I cause
> Apache to call ". /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh" beore
> starting my CGI?

What about running . /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh before
starting Apache ?

By adding appropriate configuration to Apache, you can then have it pass
the environment variables you need (presumably the GNUSTEP_*_ROOT) to the
cgi subprocesses.  Those variables would already have been set before you
start Apache.