Propertylist serialization (MacOSX <--> GNUstep)

From: Andreas Hoeschler
Subject: Propertylist serialization (MacOSX <--> GNUstep)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:48:35 +0100

Hi all,

I am porting some code from MacOSX to GNUstep. In a client server setup the server process is supposed to run on a GNUstep box, the client process on MacOSX. We have implemented our own DO that converts propertyLists to NSData and vice versa using NSSerializer and NSDeserializer.

This works from MacOSX to MacOSX but not from MacOSX to GNUstep. I have tracked down the problem to the point where the GNUstep server tries to deserialize a serialzed propertyList from the client and fails (--> nil). Obviously the serialization formats are not compatible.

Is there a known solution for this problem? How do people serialize in a heterogen OS environment?

Thanks,

   Andreas