Re: GNUstep Solaris versus Apple MacOSX (performance comparison)

From: Marcel Weiher
Subject: Re: GNUstep Solaris versus Apple MacOSX (performance comparison)
Date: 23 Dec 2002 14:54:34 GMT

Andreas Hoeschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> writes:
>We have a "Dual G4 533MHz 512 MByte" running MacOSX on the left side and
>a "Netra X1 500MHz 736MByte" running Solaris 8 GNUstep on the right.
>Compiling sources on the Solaris machine takes 4 times as long as on the
>Mac.

Precompiled headers?

>The application itself also runs slower on the Solaris machine.

How much?  What is it doing?  Is it startup time or other?

I remember that we found startup times to be significantly slower
on Solaris than on NS/OS because of the missing linker-support for
uniquing string (and selectors) meant that these had to be uniqued
at runtime.

Also:  the Macs are actually pretty fast machines, at least compared
to Suns.  I found that programs were often significantly faster on
my cheapo 233 MHz beige G3 than on the Sun Enterprise 1 (I think)
that was our "company server".

>know the Netra is the cheapest Sparc machine you can get costing only a
>fraction of the expenses for a Mac. However, since the Netra is 64Bit
>and has more memory I expected both machines to at least have the same
>performance. Where does this huge difference come from?

There is absolutely no way to say without having more details from
you.

>Now is this only hardware related - if yes, what are the essential
>differences between the Mac and the Netra - or is this more software
>related (GNUstep code, gcc,...)?

Again:  you will need to be a bit more specific.

Marcel