Re: *PATH variables

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: *PATH variables
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:16:53 +0000

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 09:18  am, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:

First of all - Happy New Year, Steppers ;-)

GNUstep.* "startup" are changing *PATH shell variables by
adding GNUstep paths before system. I don't think this is The
Right Thing(tm), since GNUstep tools can be named like system
utils. gsnd, for example - in GNUstep this is a sound service,
but gsnd also exists in ghostscript (gsnd - Run ghostscript
(PostScript and PDF engine) without display according to man
gsnd).

I think it's better add entries to end of *PATH's. Something
like that:

PATH="$PATH:/User:/Local:/Network:/System"

instead of:

PATH="/User:/Local:/Network:/System:$PATH"

Patch for -make attached, but I'm nos sure if it's 100% right
for csh since i don't use it.

I'm not at all sure about this ...

It seems to me quite reasonable that GNUstep directories should be inserted at the start of the path ... so the GNUstep tools will be found in preference to other versions. If you are running GNUstep that seems quite likely to be what you want.

On the other hand, most GNUstep applications/tools should not be using PATH, (they would use NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains() instead), so the PATH would only be relevant when starting things from the unix command line.

So, while I'm not against making this change (I think I'm for it), neither am I wholly sure it would be a good thing.
Other possibilities might be ...
1. try to ensure that GNUstep tool names don't conflict with other tool names (gsnd is the only case I've heard of) 2. check and warn about conflicts when GNUstep.sh is run (probably too slow to be a realistic solution)

Renaming gsnd is probably a good idea ... it doesn't seem too clever to conflict with ghostscript.