Pruning PATH on GNUstep/MinGW speeds development

From: Marcel Weiher
Subject: Pruning PATH on GNUstep/MinGW speeds development
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:58:10 +0100

Hi folks,

one of the problems I've been having with GNUstep on Windows + MinGW is that the PATH gets cluttered with tons of paths, most of which do not exist. Especially the non-existent paths seem to slow down command execution significantly, but trying to set up fixed paths resulted in a non-working environment.

So here's my "set up the GNUstep environment script", extended with a couple of lines that prune non-existent directories from the PATH:

---- snip -----
export GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_DIR=/C/GNUstep/System
. $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_DIR/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
tempPath=`echo $PATH | sed 's/:/ /g'`
for i in $tempPath ; do if test -d $i; then b=$b:$i;fi  ; done
export PATH=$b

I am sure this can be done better, but it works for me and seems to have cut my framework build times almost in half.

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher                           Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel@metaobject.com           www.metaobject.com