How do I stop gcc on Darwin using the Next/Apple libobjc?

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: How do I stop gcc on Darwin using the Next/Apple libobjc?
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:40:04 +1100

We are attempting to port a complex set of libraries (Swarm) originally
written on NextStep to Darwin/MacOS X.  The source is mainly Objective-C
with some C.

Unfortunately, although the language is ObjectiveC, Swarm uses a modified
version of the gnu runtime which adds some extra functionality to the root
object.

Currently we are having linking problems because gcc insists on linking
against the Apple libobjc instead of our modified gnu version.

This would seem to be similar to problems encountered building GNUstep on
Darwin, which is why I thought someone here might be able to help.  I have
searched the archives without success.

Does anyone know how to get gcc on Darwin/MacOS X to link ObjectiveC with
another runtime?

Bill Northcott

PS this will be cross posted to darwin-development.  My apologies if you
receive both.