Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:15:53 -0000

Jeff,

The message <E18Y3AD-0002i9-02@monty-python.gnu.org>
from discuss-gnustep-request@gnu.org contains these words:

> > Taking the command verbatim from the build guide:
> >
> >     $ strings `gcc --print-file-name=libgmp.so` | grep -e
> > \^[[:digit:]].[[:digit:]].[[:digit:]]$
> >
> > I get:
> >
> >     strings: libgmp.so: No such file or directory
> >
> > But if I do:
> >
> >     $ locate libgmp.so
> >
> > I get:
> >
> >     /usr/lib/libgmp.so.3.3.0
> >     /usr/lib/libgmp.so.3

> But no libgmp.so file. You have the shared library, but don't seem to have
> the -devel package installed (which provides the .so symlink)

Oops! Thanks for the info.

I've now installed gmp-devel-4.1-4 and have libgmp.so, which is a sym
link to libgmp.so.3.3.0. But still the command:

  $ strings `gcc --print-file-name=libgmp.so` | grep -e
 \^[[:digit:]].[[:digit:]].[[:digit:]]$

produces no output - just comes back to the command prompt. It appears
that the strings extracted from libgmp.so.3.3.0 do not include anything
that looks like a version numer - in particular the expected string,
"4.1", is not present. Could it perhaps have been removed in version 4.1
of the library, thus invalidating the test given in the Build Guide?

The test for libtiff, using a similar strategy, produces

  LIBTIFF, Version 3.5.7

as expected.

--

    Richard Stonehouse