Re: Problems with latest back and base

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Problems with latest back and base
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 04:32:44 -0500

Adam Fedor wrote:

> I put a check in configure to look for this. I don't think that's a
> great solution. It seems like we should be able to deal without it, but
> I don't know that much about GL.

In QuakeForge, we solved most of our OpenGL problems by creating our own
set of OpenGL headers, never using the system's, and never linking with
libGL (instead, loading the library dynamically and connecting the gl*
functions to function pointers that are available at build-time).

The last is of particular importance on Linux, where certain vendors link
their libGL to external libraries which are only provided by them.
Programs and libraries linked in such a way can *only* be used on systems
using the same libGL that was present at link-time.

NVIDIA's libGL is one of these. ATI's closed-source libGL may be also.

This also gave us the ability to build OpenGL-using programs without
actually having OpenGL support on the systems that were doing the build.

The work paid off handsomely. :)