Re: MacOSX

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Re: MacOSX
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:42:31 -0800

http://developer.apple.com/pdf/mactech_quartz.pdf

I think this says (under "Drawing Functionality") that Quartz 2D provides postscript-like features. As I understand it, OSX is NeXTSTEP version 5 (jag is version 6). U can tell by looking at the version reported by the darwin layer (10.0,10.1 reported 5, 10.2 reports 6). So this should mean (unless I'm very wrong) that its grafix engine is an evolved implementation of NeXT's engine. DPS, right? OSX now also includes PDF, QuickTime, and OpenGL in its quartz layer, but I think that an app (or group of apps) that use postscript to draw should be able to use Quarts w/ little modification. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not interested in porting quartz to other systems (that'd be a bit more than I can chew) but I am interested in getting GNUStep closer to OSX/NeXT/Cocoa, and making it able to use Quartz would pave the way for better integration, i think. I'm going to go look at GNUStep Renaissance, that sounds like it may be very useful.

JP