Draft GNUstep download page

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Draft GNUstep download page
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:50:59 -0000

Adam,

There's now a revised draft download page at:

    <URL:http://www.rstonehouse.co.uk/extras/gs-versions.html>

> For the pre-requisites, I'd like to change 'Unstable/Stable' to
> 'Required/Recommended'. For instance, for gcc, only perhaps 2.9.3 is
> required, but 3.2 is recommended.

Columns relabelled - a bit more verbosely - OK?

Re. gcc - how far back is it safe to go with versions? At some point
(3.0.x to 3.1?) I think there was a change that required a linked
modification to binutils; also, if you go far enough back (< 3.0?), the
gnustep libobjc special may be required. Perhaps someone who knows can
give advice?

> Also I noticed that the displayed version numbers and the link version
> numbers don't match in some places.

Deliberate on my part, but I agree it was a bad idea!

> > I'll have a go at tidying it up a bit over the weekend.

I've added back the following items that were on the existing web pages:

  - JIGS
  - 3DKit
  - Gorm
  - Project Center
  - nib2gmodel
  - OpenStep2GNUConverter
  - nfmake
  - Tests
  - Examples

all in the Extensions section, which I've arbitrarily renamed Developer
Tools, and

  - GNUstep Apps

in the GNUstep Environment section.

I've omitted:

  - libobjc (GNUstep special version)  - now redundant?
  - Database Lib & Display Ghostscript - refer to xdps - obsolete???

but if these ought to go back in just tell me.

Also, I see the libxml and nfmake downloads have moved, so have put in
the new URLs.

I'm confused about iconv, for which Dennis's Build Guide specifies
version 2.1.2 or better. Should it refer to *libiconv* (on the
referenced page, with versions 0.2 to 1.7), or to */usr/bin/iconv*,
which is part of glibc-common-2.2.93-5 on my system?

Also, just checking, I note there are newer versions of:

  - gnu make    - 3.80
  - binutils    - 2.13.2.1
  - gmp         - 4.1.2
  - guile       - 1.6.1
  - openssl     - 0.9.7
  - libxml      - 2.4.30, also 2.5 - 2.5.1
  - WindowMaker - 0.80.2

Are there good reasons for sticking with older versions, i.e. the new
ones may be unstable or - at any rate - so far untried by GNUsteppers?

I've also made some cosmetic changes. One thing that's happened; the
borders between table cells have disappeared. (Actually, they weren't
real borders but gaps between the cells allowing the page background to
show through). I can easily put borders back on - would you prefer it
with or without?

--

    Richard Stonehouse