Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:55:20 +0000 (GMT)

> Is anyone working on an implimentation of any of the above classes for
> GNUStep's AppKit? If so, please "check in" and give us all the
> latest status report. Please skip the obligatory "apple extension blah
> blah blah"  paragraphs. There seem to be two camps when it comes to
> deciding whether or not to impliment these (useful, imo) apple extensions.
> IMO, having working applications for the environment is what the ultimate
> objective is. People in the mac community use these classes, so why
> shouldn't we if they're terribly useful?

We have always encouraged people to contribute code if they find it
useful.

The only occasion in which there is some doubt in implementing Apple
extensions is when they break or go clearly against the OpenStep API (or
common sense), or are simply not usable or not applicable in our context
(for example NSQuickDrawView makes no sense if you don't have QuickDraw,
and we don't have it, so it doesn't make much sense for us).

We had contributions for many of the classes you list.  Some of them are
fully implemented.  You can check the gnustep-gui source code - for
example go and browse the CVS source code repository on line from the web
at

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnustep/gnustep/core/gui/

to get an up-to-date idea of the status of each class (except for the text
classes, where a brand new text system is being developed on a separate
branch).

It's a collective work where everyone with an interest in it can
contribute - if you want to contribute to finish off these classes, you
are warmly welcome to it.

Thanks for your comments.