Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:04:27 +0100

On 2003-01-23 15:32:28 +0100 Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

... then you tell to the 'graphical editor' what is the relationship between
   those objects and how they should change their position and size
according to their contents. I do not see the problem of 'specifying
that in the file', only that Gorm cannot do that *at this time*. It can
be solved by adding some information about object placement and
relationships into gorm file and apply it at the time of loading.

If this is not yet implemented in Gorm, it does not mean, that the idea of
visual editing is bad.

The idea of visual editing is great, and Renaissance is going to have
that! :-)

It will have its visual editor.  It is meant to have it.  It's incomplete
without it.

The visual editor will not use encoding/decoding, but Renaissance to
read/write.

What about custom objects and custom views refering to those objects?  Or just
standalone objects.

(snip)

Moreover, you have to take care about appearance and usability more than the
contents when you are designing user interface.

For the portability see my previous comment about keyed archiving and readable
file.

Keyed archiving will not give you portability.

Why not if we use some readable (or at leas well documented) format suitable
for object archiving (like XML) ? I mean, the thing we need here is additional
information about the ui.

Renaissance: Description about position and size relationships between objects.
Gorm: Archived 'real' objects.

I think wee need both. Gorm is lower layer and Renaissance is upper layer. From
my point of fiew, i would suggest to add some additional information to gorm
files. That information should be something like it is in .gsmarkup files.
What we need is something in between. What about including .gsmarkup file
describing relationships between objects into .gorm archove/package? Then after
unarchiving you do the relayout as you do reconnection of outlets and actions
now. This is possible after adding Renaissance features into gorm, of course.
First step should be adding H/VBoxes into the gorm...

Keyed archiving came to my mind, because you can add custom additional
information about archived objects into the archive without affecting decoding.

What you really want is a graphical editor for Renaissance files which
allows visuallayout, but using the Renaissance objecst to do it. Then
thats the perfect soution I feel for both parties.

Or take it from other point of view ... I want a way of describing position and
size relationshps between objects in Gorm :)

You want a modified Gorm which uses Renaissance instead of
encoding/decoding.

Yes, something like that, but I would not drop encoding/decoding (custom
objects reason).
Moreover, there should be situations, where you use exact placement of objects
into the window and do not use auto placement.

You want it ... and as soon as I can heap up enough time to start this
job, you'll have it. :-)

That will be great :)

I think, there is a compromise somewhere to satisfy both sides :)

Stefan