NSTask waitUntilExit & recursive display calls

From: Marko Riedel
Subject: NSTask waitUntilExit & recursive display calls
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:29:08 +0100 (CET)

Hi folks,

could someone answer the following question, please.

I have a view that needs some data (process output) in order to
display itself. I trigger an NSTask when the view first gets a
"displayIfNeeded" and it obtains the data. So far so good. I use
"waitUntilExit" to make sure that the task has terminated before I
attempt to read the data. Unfortunately "waitUntilExit" doesn't really
block the entire application; instead it continues some runloop
processing. The runloop sends another "displayIfNeeded" to the view,
and so on.

How do get the process to block properly?

I have also noticed that running an alert panel from inside a
"display" e.g. to notify the user that there was some problem with the
task seems to be a bad idea, as the modal event loop from the alert
panel triggers another chain of recursive "display" events.

It looks like I'm getting the NSTask basics wrong.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

Best regards,

| Marko Riedel, EDV Neue Arbeit gGmbH, mriedel@neuearbeit.de |
| http://www.geocities.com/markoriedelde/index.html          |