Re: UTF8 encoding on Solaris 8

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: UTF8 encoding on Solaris 8
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 06:52:50 +0000

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 11:32  pm, Andreas Hoeschler wrote:

Hi all,

I just realized that GNUstep (at least my installation) on Solaris 8 cannot handle UTF8.

[[NSString alloc] initWithData:unicodeData encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];

The above works on MacOSX but returns nil on GNUstep. I searched the archives and found that iconv needs to be available.

No longer ... the GNUstep base library now has native utf-8 support and doesn't need iconv for that (though it does need iconv
for most other charactersets).