Re: RE : GSMBrowser.

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: RE : GSMBrowser.
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:56:21 +0100

Peter Cooper (comrade@obverse.com.au) a écrit:

> > Sounds very nice and interesting ... but It is the second file browser in
> > gnustep.
>
> As long as drag-and-drop work fairly well, it's a very useful tool.
>
> > IMO, wouldn't it better to have something like a bundle in order to use
> > GSMBrowser abilities in GWorkspace ? rather than use 2 different
> > applications ?
>

> It would be very nice to be able to use the Workspace to browse to a
> SMB server, as well as an arbitrary FTP server,or a CVS space or a
> database-backed content management system and simply use my favourite
> apps to edit in-place,

No it will not nice at all.

*Step is not a Web workspace.

FTP is different of local browsing in lot of way (latency,move...).
We don't need to confuse users with that (and let the user beleive
that it is the same thing)

If the Operating System can't do that ( like a simple/transparent mount
point NFS) we don't have to do it.

Have a common Widget to browse file that can be use in FTP.app,
UnArchiver.app  is probably interesting.
Browse it in Workspace Manger is confusing, bloat & reduce the power of a
separate App.

Have a design that allow dnd or openBestApp: forUrlType: (same for device) is
intersting.
FreeSoftware have already a very good "web desktop" : KDE/Konqueror....(even if
I don't
like the feel of this type of desktop)

I prefer the "traditional", easier and OpenSTEP way ...

Fabien