Re: suggestion [was: Re: GNUSTEP/linux]

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: suggestion [was: Re: GNUSTEP/linux]
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:38:17 +0100

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Martin Brecher wrote:
> Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> > I am not sure if this is real, but this can be nice. GNUstep projects
> > are mainly bundles. What about having a small set of debs or rpms for
> > installing the very base system and then tar.gz-ed bundles of binaries?
> > This can show one of advantages of GNUstep environment: to install an
> > app/framework/bundle, you just drang and drop ito appropriate place and
> > to unsinstall you just throw it into rubbish.
>
> Bundle directories are already very nice. But couldn't this be expanded
> to have one-file bundles like MyApp.app.zip,
> MyLoadableBundle.bundle.zip, MyWindow.gorm.zip?
>
> This would allow to _really_ easily export bundles on the web or per
> email or the like. "Hey, just drop my app [.app.zip] into your
> Applications folder and you're ready to go."

I like the idea of having something similar to disc images (.img) on Mac OS X.
I don't care if they are zipped or just tarred or whatever, I just like their
ease of use. But this mainly works for apps and tools which do not have a lot
of special dependencies and I doubt it would be a good solution for the core
system installation process.

On Rhapsody there was an installer tool/script which you could use for
installing pkg's via CLI. Maybe this is the best way to go in this situation?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert     |  VNET# 559-1565
Core Rendering           |  Office: +41 (0)32 732 15 65