Re: GSMBrowser

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GSMBrowser
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:56:39 +0100

On 2003-02-05 14:29 Uhr, "Stefan Böhringer"
<stefan.boehringer+usenet@uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> O.k. this comment was a bit uninformed. However, I don't see seamless
> ssh integration anywhere (at least on windows, can't comment on the
> others).

What exactly do you mean by "ssh" integration, scp or sftp or .. ?

The major point is that all the other environments support "user-level"
hierarchies.

BTW: I also see the point of Fabien regarding latency etc of FTP. This is
exactly the reason why I do not like the MacOSX way of mounting FTP/WebDAV
servers a lot, they try to make it look *exactly* like a local filesystem
which they are not (BTW the same is true for NFS and Samba).
Instead the WorkspaceManager should be able to deal with asynchronous
fetches (which is also a GUI issue).
I do not agree with "*Step is not a Web workspace.". When *Step was
available the networks were not capable of FTP like filesystems, now they
are and *Step should evolve into one if possible.

Greetings
  Helge