Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 20:40:47 GMT

Tim Harrison <tim@linuxstep.org> wrote:
> Why are RPMs not based on .deb packages?  Why doesn't FreeBSD use System
> V style init?  Different systems, different designs.
>
> Why doesn't Encap use the lsp format? ;)

Because lsp appears incapable of basic Encap features?  ;-)  For example, it
cannot install multiple versions of the same package and select between
them, as far as I can tell.

> [...] Managing massive amounts of symlinks is overly complex, in my
> opinion, and just adds another layer of potential for problems.

I don't think anything in the Encap *package format spec* requires you to
use symlinks but ICBW.  lsp has one feature over Encap, because it does some
dependency handling.

I don't think either is particularly more complex than the other.  Just
annoyingly incompatible.

Another question: why xml?  Does gnustep-base have an xml parser hidden in
there?

MJR