Re: Latest gnustep releases (Foundation and AppKit)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Latest gnustep releases (Foundation and AppKit)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:19:31 +0000 (GMT)

> > GNUstep set's the locale when it starts up, so that processing is in the
> > user's local language (and that affects all functions in the glibc
> > library). Perhaps that's not right though? Perhaps only the higher level
> > NSString parsing should do that and not the lower level programmer
> > interface?
> >
> OK, I understand. I must admit that I didn't know that the glibc is
> completely localized. I think we should stick with this behaviour, though I
> actually don't really like it. But it makes things more consistent.

Yes - I don't like it either.

It forces you to always manually switch to a C LC_NUMERIC locale (saving
the original locale, and then restoring it later) just to parse a float in
the default/standard numeric format (0.6573).

I suppose you could use NSScanner, but it's a bit clumsy to just parse a
few floats.