Re: Newbie Gorm Question

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Newbie Gorm Question
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:54:51 -0800 (PST)

See below....
--- Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 04:32  pm, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> > While the current outline view based interface in Gorm is nice for
> > viewing a
> > class, the inspector is much better for adding/editing actions/outlets
> > ... so my
> > ideal would be to have both ... ie restore the inspector but don't
> > throw away
> > the outline view.
> Actually, I'm not sure that the above is honest ... perhaps I was just
> trying to be
> polite about the current class stuff ... I don't like to be negative
> about things
> which have obviously taken quite a bit of work.
> I just compared the classes outline view (OS4.2 like) in Gorm with the
> pictures
> and instructions for managing classes in my old NeXTstep manual, and In
> fact
> the old-style (similar to the latest MacOS-X style) really looks better
> to me ... so
> dumping the current system for editing classes entirely might in fact
> be best.

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it.  So long as things are *better*
when we are done.   I was, for a while considering implementing such a thing in
addition to the current outline view to give the user another way of
interfacing with Gorm.

I also added a preferences panel to which we can add the user's choice of
interface.   I think this is a better option than dumping the current code
which works and is familiar to people who have used OPENSTEP 4.2.
> The old NeXTstep style used a two-column browser to look at classes,
> with a
> search field and a pull-down menu to subclass/instantiate/parse/unparse
> class at the top of the browser.  This was very convenient.  Just adding
> the search field and pulldown above the current outline view would have
> similar effect, but would not be quite as easy to navigate as the
> browser was.

This is why implementing an alternate classes view might be cool instead of
replacing the current implementation wholesale.

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:

Do you Yahoo!?