Light-weight GNUstep distribution

From: Jan Vrany
Subject: Light-weight GNUstep distribution
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:01:06 +0100

Hi all,

I've following problem: I'm going to write small application
(but it will grow in future). The application will read data
from XML file of from RDMBs. It must be a GUI application
cos is for naive users. I must also support many platforms,
mainly Windows and common UNIXes.
The main problem is to framwork to use. GNUstep will be a
really good solution, cos of good design and easy-to-use.
But my problem is, that the installatio of entire aplication
must support computers without GNUstep base, gui, back and
ObjC runtime installed and must be as small as possible
(in mean of MB occupied on disk, with GNUstep libraries).
And I must support slow computers, that eliminate Java
and Smalltalk solutions.

But I'm not a GNUstep expert, so my question is:

Is possible to make light-weight GNUstep distribution that
contains only what I really needs in several files, is possible
to run single GNUstep application without gdomap, gpbs and so
on?
Entire application can be statically linked.

Another solution is to use Qt application framework, but
I prefer GNUstep cos:
1) It's GNU project :-)
2) I like Smalltalkish object model much more than
   C++'s pseudo objects

Have a nice day. Honza